Natural language processing
A free email alerter of the latest news items and associated URLs.
Subscribe FREE to El.pub Analytic
El.pub Analytic emailed as soon as it's published.
The survey is a joint effort of a number of authors from around the world, and is available as an online book from the web site. The survey was jointly funded by the Language Engineering programme of DG XIII of the European Commission and the National Science Foundation of the USA.
There are other resources related to NLP - corpora and a UNIX toolkit for telephone speech research, on the CSLU web site.
The EUROMAP (HOPE) and ELSNET projects retained under the first IST (Information Society Technologies) call of the 5th Framework Programme joined forces to provide a web site designed to be a "one-stop shop" for all HLT and related information and links, as well as serving the specific needs and communities of the two projects. The site features a Contacts Database and a Partner Search facility.
Speech recognition has undergone a transformation, primarily through the introduction of aggressively-priced consumer products. The perceived wisdom within speech recognition research is that making continuous speech technologies work is not the difficulty, but controlling the conversion is, as the spoken language tends not be logic-based.
The Rapidly Changing Face of Computing (December 6, 1999 issue) reports on SpeechBot a technology demonstrator from Compaq's Research Lab. SpeechBot is currently an experimental index of popular US radio shows, based on speech recognition technology.
According to the report the software "listens to web-resident audio programming, converts the sound into a textual transcript, and then indexes those words". Users can then type in queries and receive links to sections of the audio programme that match the query.
The developers are keen to stress that the software and method is experimental at this stage, but the demo gives a glimpse of the potential for audio indexing.
URL: Speechbot demo http://speechbot.research.compaq.com/
URL: Rapidly Changing Face of Computing http://www.compaq.com/rcfoc/
URL: Compaq's Research Lab http://crl.research.compaq.com/
- Online computational linguistics demo links.
- Speechcentral.com provides information and resources on speech technologies, sponsored by by Nuance it not only lists their own products, but also those of their competitors.
- Voice Pilot Technologies' claim that their Hear-Say software compresses standard wavefiles (.wav) by up to 140 times the size of the original digitised voice message. They believe the software will used in voice email applications and to provide voice annotations, embedded in word-processing programs such as MS Word and WordPerfect. The play back software is included in the software package and will also be available for free download from the web.
- A useful starting point for information on continuous speech recognition research is available from an excellent list of speech research laboratories.
- Speech technology information of a more general nature is available at the Talking Technologies web site.
- Speech.Users.FTP is an FTP archive where speech-data users can trade files, word lists etc.
File Downloads - Please note
|File downloads from the El.pub site are currently suspended - the links however have not been updated to reflect this. If you would like access to a particular download file - please email email@example.com with a suitable request confirming a description of the file you wish to download.|
El.pub - Interactive
Electronic Publishing R & D News and Resources
We welcome feedback and contributions to the information service, and proposals for subjects for the news service (mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Edited by: Logical Events Limited - electronic marketing, search engine marketing, pay per click advertising, search engine optimisation, website optimisation consultants in London, UK. Visit our website at: www.logicalevents.org
Last up-dated: 26 March 2021
© 2021 Copyright and disclaimer El.pub and www.elpub.org are brand names owned by Logical Events Limited - no unauthorised use of them or the contents of this website is permitted without prior permission.